The first workout in our surfing series is a combination of balance, strength and power based exercises. The way you perform in the water can be greatly enhanced by the trainer you do on land. The ultimate is when these movements become unconscious and you can flow in perfect time with the wave. Surfing is a unique sport in that it requires so many different aspects of muscular strength and coordination to come together at the same time with high levels of cardiovascular fitness.
The Rooboard is perfect for surfing training as it can replicate the act of surfing and target the specific muscles used during surfing. It will train the core, improve balance and fitness at the same time.
- Warm-up for 5 minutes
- Surf stance balance squats x 15 reps each leg
- Pop-ups using the pads as markers for the front foot landing position x 10
- Standing butterfly stroke x 20 each leg
- Plank and leg lift x 20 total
- Tricep pop-ups x 10
- Press-ups with toes on deck x 15
- Shoulder press with towel – single pad x 20
- Drop press x 10
- Swimmers from plank position – single pad x 20
- Pop-up and rotational turn
Method: Keep the routine controlled and precise – this is a power and strength workout, not a cardio hit out. Repeat two times or three times if you’re an advanced trainer or pro-surfer.
[one-third-column]Visit Rooboard on YouTube for a selection of workout videos including the surfing chest workout for pop-up power.